Kamal Hasaan tweeted against the construction of the new parliament.
“Who will the Rs1,000-crore Parliament protect?” Kamal Haasan asked Prime Minister Modi in a tweet.
- Hours before he launched his two-year-old party’s campaign for the 2021 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls, Tamil film star-turned-politician Kamal Haasan attacked Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the new parliament project. Prime Minister had laid the foundation stone recently.
Comparing the construction of parliament to The Great Wall of China.
- Comparing the new construction of the parliament with the centuries-old Great Wall of China, Kamal said that “’thousands of people perished’ during its construction, but the dragon nation rulers said the wall was to ‘guard’ the people.
The tweet directly targeted
- “To protect whom is a new Parliament building being constructed at a cost of Rs 1,000 crore when half of India is hungry due to the coronavirus pandemic triggered loss of livelihoods,’ the Makkal Needhi Maiam leader asked in a tweet.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for a new Parliament building on December 10. He also performed the ground-breaking ceremony for the structure, which is expected to be completed by 2022.
- Kamal told the media before leaving for temple town, that at the last minute, authorities did not allow MNM to campaign within urban areas. Though they got permission to go to some places.
- When asked about the focus of his party’s campaign, he said would be escorting in a complete transformation in Tamil Nadu.
- “There is no doubt about degeneration in the state… people know that well and there is no point lamenting. MNM will talk about what needs to be done now,” he said, apparently targeting the two Dravidian parties, AIADMK and DMK, who have in turn ruled the state since 1967.