It’s very important to understand that when people are talking about fat loss, they may not necessarily be talking about weight loss and vice versa. In the following article, we will be covering:
- The most important differences between losing fat and losing weight
- Some tips on how to tell whether you are losing weight or body mass
- Ways to get rid of fat while maintaining healthy muscle mass
- Some supplements you may find useful for burning fat and curbing your appetite in a healthy way
- Types of food that you can eat that will help you cut back on your fat intake
It’s Important to Make a Distinction
Most people refer to diet and exercise as modes of weight loss. Weight loss seems to have become the catch-all phrase that we use when we are talking about slimming down and getting healthy. However, there is an important distinction between fat loss and weight loss.
If you want to reach your fitness and physique goals, you will have to know what those differences are. The reason it’s so important is that you could be doing the wrong type of dieting and exercise for actual fat loss, which is what most people mean when they refer to weight loss.
Using the best weight loss supplements, doing the right kinds of exercises, eating the right types of food, and of course, knowing the difference between weight loss and fat loss will help put you on the right track.
Weight Loss Vs. Fat Loss
Weight is a much broader word. Bodyweight refers to all of your body mass, including muscles, bones, organs, and even the water we retain – that last one is very important, too, because 60% of the human adult body is composed of water.
Body fat, on the other hand, only refers to fat tissue. When people say they want to lose weight, they usually mean that they want to lose body fat. If one were to lose bodyweight, they would be shrinking their muscle, expelling retained water, or other things that could be detrimental to the body.
Still, the scale doesn’t account for what kind of mass you are losing, so a lot of people don’t realize that they are losing weight, but their body fat percentage is staying the same, which leads us to our next point.
Ways to Tell If You Are Actually Losing Fat
Stepping on a common bathroom scale to see that you have dropped 2 or 3 pounds doesn’t necessarily mean that you are losing fat because these devices can’t differentiate between fat and weight. However, there are certain ways you can tell if your diet and exercise efforts are resulting in fat loss:
- Body Fat Calipers – These types of calipers help measure your body fat and are reasonably accurate and simple to use.
- See A Doctor – One of the best weight loss tipsis to see your doctor regularly, but this is also a great way to accurately gauge how much fat you have lost. Your doctor will likely have tools that you don’t have access to and know how to use them accurately.
- Tape Measure – Using a tape measure around your belly is an easy way to see if you have lost belly fat or fat around the thighs and legs.
Tips for Losing Fat While Retaining Muscle Mass
- Incorporate More Protein into Your Diet – Protein is great for cutting fat and maintaining muscle because it feeds your muscles while promoting a feeling of fullness without introducing much fat into your diet.Fish, poultry, nuts, and legumes are some of the main sources of protein.
- Monitor Your Calorie Intake – If you want to lose fat but maintain muscle mass, you shouldn’t cut your caloric intake by too much, or else you risk starving your muscles. Consider starting by just cutting 500-1000 calories per day. Then you can see how that is affecting your body composition and adjust as needed.
- Include Weight Training – Weight training is one of the best weight loss tips no matter what your goals are, especially if you are trying to maintain muscle mass while burning fat. Don’t neglect weight training. Cardio is great for slimming down, but weight training will help you keep defined muscle.
- Find a Healthy Balance – Exercising too much or too intensely could increase your food cravings, which is counterproductive. Start with about 3 hours of moderate exercise a week and see how that affects your body and appetite.
Can Weight Loss Supplements Help?
According to Health Web Magazine, there are some quality supplements that have helped people lose fat while retaining muscle mass. You still have to practice some discernment, though, because not all supplements are on the up-and-up.
Modere Trim reviews have been fairly good. Customers say that it does help you reach your fitness goals by curbing unhealthy food cravings and providing your body with the means to burn fat and nothing else.
However, you shouldn’t rely on Modere Trim reviews alone. Do your research, compare products, and as always, talk to your doctor before taking on any diet or supplement regimen.
Losing fat and maintaining lean muscle is a delicate balance but if you know the difference and follow the tips outlined above, you will be giving yourself a great shot. Health Web Magazine has stated that supplements like Modere Trim may also help. Still, remember to practice a high degree of discretion.
You should be careful because even the best weight loss supplements will make it easier for you to lose muscle mass, as well. Eat healthily, find a workout regimen that works for you, and measure your body fat regularly for the best results.